1913 – to late for Titanic

When deciding what to wear to the “Titanic exhibithion” I looked through a lot of pictures and patterns from the 1910-1912 period. Then I found this one.

fashion-plate-girls-1912

The dress has a bit more of a 1913 style to it, but nothing to apparent.

The fabric for the dress is a green striped wool that’s been in my stash for a couple of years.

2013-06-24 10.24.20

I also used  withe cotton voile left over from the “Chemise a Lamballe”

2013-05-29 17.38.05

The only thing that needed to be bought was the buttons, so it was a pretty cheap project. Even though buttons can be terribly expensive, and more often than not you will need a lot of them.

I drafted the pattern myself, using Waughs “Cut of Wlomens Clothes” as a guide to the general shape.

It wasn’t until I already begun sewing that I realised two things.

1. This dress would fit perfectly to the HSF challege 1. – ..13 (make anything from the year ..13) which is the only challenge so far that I missed out on. To my defense I didn’t know about the HSF until the second challenge  had already started. Better late then never right.

2. This dress was beginning to look a bit too much as my “By the sea” 30s dress. The silhouette, the color combination with the big white details, I even used the same fabric for the collars. Well, all the fabric was already cut – there was no use not to continue. And besides, I really did like that 30s dress.

Getting the dress together went fast but I did have to reshape the collar a bit smaller – something I discovered after I had sewn it on. So I unpicked the seam and re-cut the front tabs to end a bit higher in the neck opening, and then sewed it back on.

IMG_0154IMG_0157

And then I tryed it on.

IMG_0175Starting to look pretty good.

For the opening in the front of the dress I decided to make a separate skirt in the same white voile that I used for the collar and cufs. So I re-used the skirt pattern for the dress and cut a high waisted slim skirt.

IMG_0197

So here it is, my contribution to the HSF Challenge 1 – A 1913 dress – I’m only one year late for the Titanic.

IMG_0222

IMG_0229

IMG_0225

IMG_0232

And being worn.

IMG_0553

IMG_0558

IMG_0562

IMG_0578

IMG_0582

IMG_0589

IMG_0614

IMG_0620

IMG_0600

IMG_0607

IMG_0638

IMG_0640

Just the facts:

Challenge 1. year ..13.

What: A 1913s daydress.

Fabric: 2,5 m of green wool, and 2 m of white cotton voile.

Pattern: I drafted my own, based on Waugh’s “Cut of Womens Clothes”.

Notion: Thread, interlining, buttons (5 big and 14 small ones) and snaps.

Historical accuracy: I used modern sewing and drafting techniques, but the fabric and the over all look of the garmnent are about right.

Cost: 200 SEK total (half the amount now, and the rest for stash fabric).

Hour: about 15 hour

First worn: On the Titanic exhibition on the 6th of July, and the following photoshoot.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “1913 – to late for Titanic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s