1920s Glittery Robe de style

I’ve been set on trying my hand at 1920s fashion since the last challenge, nr 24 “All that Glitters”, was announced.

Not quite getting over myself to do the full straight/boyish figure, I settled on this design from “Fashion in Detail”IMG_4347

I drafted the pattern and started cutting the pieces from a lovely black cotton velvet I bought for this purpose.IMG_4229

The skirt are cut like a circular one, but using a square instead of a circle.
I originally planed to level the skirt and to hem it to be circular, but once cut I liked the square hem better. IMG_4238

I used some silver/glittery soft tulle, I got on sale about two years ago, as a second layer for the skirt.IMG_4231

IMG_4372Here you can see the shape of the square pattern, and the finished skirt hanging in tapered edges.

I pinned the dress together and put it on my dressform to get a view of how it would look
– And it looked hideous.

IMG_4338

I then tried it on, and the result was no better.IMG_4345

It was around here I really started to look for a dress to buy and wear at new years…

Determent to finish before the challenge deadline, I pushed on and stitched the dress together, aded the zipper, set the sleeves and neck facing, and marked the angel of the skirt.IMG_4368

It do looks better, but a mock up wouldn’t have hurt…IMG_4373

I finished of by shortening the sleeves a bit, cutting and hemming the skirt and making a belt out of some left over velvet.

The finished dress:IMG_4734

IMG_4738

IMG_4748

IMG_4750

IMG_4752

IMG_4754

IMG_4757

IMG_4765

IMG_4740

IMG_4742

IMG_4758

IMG_4760

IMG_4739

A sneak a peak from the photoshoot:IMG_4391

Just the Facts:

Challenge: nr 24 – All that Glitters

What: a 1920s evening dress (sort of a Robe de Style)

Pattern: I drafted my own.

Fabric: 2,5 m black velvet, 2 m silver printed black tulle and scraps of black cotton for facing.

Notions: Thread, zipper, 2 hook and eyes and fusible interfacing for the belt.

How historical accurate: I’m not sure, but even though the fitted bodice are un-characteristic for the 1920s the style did exist. The construction methods are modern and the silvery tulle are also to modern. Conclution, maybe 4/10.

Time: About 10 hours

Cost: About 300 Sek (48 Usd) but I only spent about half since most of the fabric came from stash.

First worn: on dec 22 for photos. I planed to wear it for new years eve but I’ve changed my mind in the past few days.

Final thoughts: I actually like it much better now that it is finished, and I will deferentially wear it if I ever get invited to a 1920s themed party.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “1920s Glittery Robe de style

  1. This turned out lovely! Sometimes it really is difficult to see the potential of a dress when it’s still at building stage, but you definitely did the right thing in just carrying on with it. Happy new year!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s