1860s silk bonnet (part 2) – decoration

Continuing on the 1860s green silk bonnet:

To get my bonnet to look like my inspiration it needed a bit more work (part 1 – making the bonnet)

IMG_66117a42b6b21b6ade8740f6dc978540db72
To make it go from this to this

For the trimmings I cut stripes of “whatever left of the silk” and gathered them by hand to get a nice and “poufy” trim. IMG_6617

I also made a few flowers using scraps of the fabric. IMG_6710These are so easy to make and takes really no time at all.
I only wish I had more fabric to make more.

I then pinned the trimmings to the bonnet and stitched them on by hand, one by one until I was satisfied
(or ratter until I run out of scraps to turn into trim…).IMG_6619The first trims pinned on.

IMG_6734IMG_6735

The Finished Bonnet: IMG_6712

IMG_6615

IMG_6715

IMG_6718

IMG_6731

IMG_6720

IMG_6723

IMG_6724

IMG_6725

IMG_6726

IMG_6727

IMG_6729

IMG_6733

The Facts:

What: A 1860s bonnet

Pattern: Lynn McMasters “1860s civil war bonnet”

Fabric: 60 cm of green silk taffeta, 30 cm of green cotton for lining.

Cost: 350 Sek

Time: A lot – about 30 hours.

Final Thoughts: I think it came out really pretty, with enough decoration to look right for the period yet being pleasing in my modern styizied eyes.
I can’t wait o wear it.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “1860s silk bonnet (part 2) – decoration

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s