Plastic Purple 18th century Flower Dress

The inspiration was wast for the “Plastique Fantastique” and afters some sketching I finally decided on a model I wanted to make.
20150628_164537_resizedJacket/Caraco and skirt combination.

Then I took a plunge down the rabbit hole that’s my fabric stash and came up with the perfect purple and flower combination – all in fabulous polyester plysch.20150628_164508_resized

10943917_10205707664432491_8962928573096592053_nTest drape to determent if the design would work.

As I’m really un-used to work with stretch fabrics I made a quick mock-up. 20150628_184932_resizedSome tweaking and it will work just fine.

Then I cut the pieces for the bodice from the flowery fabric.IMG_7451

I used my serger to assemble the pieces.
IMG_7456 IMG_7457

The sewing went so fast and easy it I was bound to run into trouble…
As I discovered at the first fitting – The bodice is way to short.IMG_7461I guess the turquoise fabric I used for the mock-up must have been a two way stretch while the my plysch only stretches horizontally.

Since I had only small scraps of fabric left I decided to piece it. And to cover the edge with a belt…
IMG_7469IMG_7468
Perfect!

I finished the bodice by pleating the peplum at the sides and attached it, trimmed the sleeves with some plastic lace and decorated the front with purple ribbon bows.

To make the belt I cut a strip of the purple skirt fabric, pressed some interfacing on it and stitched it closed. Then I attached he plastic belt buckle to it.
IMG_7481IMG_7482

To finish the ensemble I stitched the purple plysch into a tube, a drawstring at the waist, and cut a shaped hem (to accommodate for the pocket hoops).
IMG_7479

The finished skirt (worn over pocket hoops):IMG_7871

IMG_7873

As the final touch to my costume I bought a purple clown wig.afroperuk-lila-1

The finished Dress:IMG_7874

IMG_7876

IMG_7877

IMG_7878

IMG_7888

IMG_7880

IMG_7883

IMG_7885

IMG_7891

IMG_7894

The Facts:

What: A 18th century inspired masquerade costume

Pattern: I drafted my own, using jersey pattern templates.

Fabric: 1 m flowery polyester plysch, 1 m purple polyester plysch, 0,5m white ply lace, 1m purple fake velvet ribbon, thread and a plastic belt buckle.

Time & Cost: Nothing – Everything came from stash. If new perhaps 150-200 sek (20Usd) (wig – 100sek [16Usd])

Final thoughts: I love it! Even though I had some trouble (Guess jersey’s not my kind of fabric) it came out really well. My only concern is the right side tipping of the skirt (and the fact it’s really short)

Preview:20150630_114250_resizedMy final fitting with wig and jewelry.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Plastic Purple 18th century Flower Dress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s