About a month ago I decided I needed to make myself a 18th century cloak/cape
Love this picture
I decided to use Baumgarters Cloak pattern from “Costume close-up
Sewing Empire made herself one of these too, and writes a good sumary about her work on her blog.
For fabric I used an old roll of red wool I got for free a few yers ago. The fabric are realy coarse and I never thougt I would ever be able to use it for anything, particularly not for a garment.
For lining I dug into my scraps bin, and found a dark red linnen leftover from a gown I made several years ago.The amount I had was just enough for the hood.
I didn’t traced the pattern, but measured and cut everything from memory.
Then I did the same with the hood.
The construction of the cape was really simple and straight forward.
The only tricky part was the hood.Picture of back of hood from “Costume close-up”.
In the description it’s said to be pleats giving the “fan” shape, and after some fideling and testing, I figured out how to make them behave as in the picture above.
From the inside
Once I knew how to do it the lining was really easy to assemble in the same way.Even though the look of the folds in the thinner linen was a bit different.
It is huge, laying on the floor like this.
Just The Facts:
Challenge: nr 3/2015 – Stashbusting
What: a 18th century wool cape
Pattern: Baumgarters “Costume Close-ups” Cloak pattern
Fabric: 3 m of red wool (upholstery fabric) and 40 cm (scraps) of red linen for lining.
Notions: Thread and one hook and eye.
How historica accurate: So, so. The colour and look of it are right, but I doubt they would have used this type of coarse wool for anything other then isolation. I did handstitch the hole cloak but i used syntetic tread – since thats what I had in my stash. All in all I give it a 6/10.
Time: About 5-8 hours – it went pretty quick and only took me about a day to finish.
Cost: Basicly nothing – The fabric was gifted to me and the rest was all leftovers or old stash.
But if I would have bought everything new I guess 300-400 Sek (40Usd)
How it fits the Challenge: It is made completely from stash fabric and scraps. And since I never thought I’d be able to make something from the wool I’m extra happy that it turned out so lovely.
First Worn: On Feruary 28th, for photos.
Final Thougts: I Love it! I felt so pretty and coosy in it, and only wish I would have reason to wear it all the time.
And since I do have fabric left, I’m are already thinking on making one for my sister.